Vietnam Text Questions (pgs 781 – 783):
Directions: Answer each question in complete sentences on your own notebook paper.
- What happened to President Johnson’s approval ratings after American airstrikes in Vietnam? Why do you think this happened?
- Under Secretary of State George Ball, a longtime critic of U.S. policy in Vietnam, warns “Once on the tiger’s back, we cannot be sure of picking the place to dismount.” What is meant by this statement? Have there been any situations in recent history or currently where this statement applies to the U.S.? Explain.
- What tactics did the Vietcong use to fight the Americans in South Vietnam? Why did they use these tactics?
- What tactics did the U.S. use to fight the Vietcong in South Vietnam? Why did they use these tactics?
- How did North Vietnam Support the Vietcong in South Vietnam? Who supported North Vietnam? How?
- Why did President Johnson NOT order an invasion of North Vietnam?
- Vietnam is described as a “limited war” and a “war of attrition”. What do these 2 statements mean?