Vietnam Text Questions (pgs 777 – 781):
Directions: Answer each question in complete sentences on your own notebook paper.
- Who are the Vietcong and what is their purpose?
- Why did Kennedy need to appear “tough on Communism”? What evidence does the text use to support this statement?
- Why did the Americans believe support for the Vietcong grew in South Vietnam?
- What is a military coup, and why did one occur against Diem?
- What is the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution? What powers does it give the president (Johnson)? Why was it passed?
- Read Different Viewpoints (pages 780 – 781) and answer Learning From History Questions.